Enjoy a fat burning, protein-packed, childhood favorite made from scratch! This homemade chili cheese hamburger healthy recipe offers a balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat so that you are satiated and able to eat an economically friendly meal and keep your blood sugar and waistline under control.
- 12 oz lean ground turkey (or ground round, ground beef)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup skim milk (or use soy or almond)
- 1½ cups pasta sauce
- 1½ cups elbow macaroni, dry
- 1 TBSP arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp evaporated cane juice (sugar)
- 1/2tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Brown ground turkey in a largeskillet and drain.
- In the same skillet add hot water, tomato sauce and milk.
- Add cooked macaroni elbows followed by seasonings*.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for about 12-20 minutes or until macaroni elbows are tender.
- During the last few minutes of cooktime, stir in the cheese, cover the skillet again and give a few minutes of cook time.
- Let stand to thicken to your liking before serving.
*Seasonings: Combine arrowroot powder, chili powder, garlic powder, evaporated cane juice and paprika which you can blend using a zip lock bag.
Approximate nutritional analysis per serving: 424 calories, 27 grams of protein, 51 grams of carbohydrates, 12.5 grams of fat, and 3 grams of fiber.